View Single Post
Old 02-14-08, 08:00 AM
Jtgyk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I live in small town Iowa currently and can safely ride a lot of places, but once my children are out of high school and my wife gets her RN license, we will probably move south to a place where we can be outside 90% of the year or more in the southeast U.S. is our plan. We are hoping to get to one small vehicle and live with walking to where we are going or riding our bicycles everywhere. We really haven't decided on a city or state for that matter, but we are working on making some plans for 2010 after our youngest daughter is in college. I think what you are doing is something we want to try and push ourselves to do more of.

My problem is that I am a motorcycle person and currently own three motorcycles for myself. One is for my wife to ride on the back (Kawasaki Voyager XII), one for me (Suzuki SV650S) and a KTM 250SX for riding the local single track trails with some friends. I would probably have to drop to one motorcycle or none and that might be really hard for me. I also have a 30 x40 garage for my toys, so that will be hard to give up also.
I also lived in a small town (in Colorado) and rode my motorcycle everywhere....then I moved to Dallas, and gave it up. I quickly came to grips with the fact that I was taking my life in my hands every time I rode it here (Texas drivers are...erm...a bit more freeform in their driving). Strangely, I don't feel in such immediate danger on the bike, of course I also don't ride on the busier streets due to our special brand of driver.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock