Thread: Search broken?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-08, 04:08 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by meeshu
Thanks folks!

Sorry I missed the earlier post.

My understanding is that the "new" search engine is an upgrade over the old. The reason(s) for the upgrade is unknown. But I would have thought that any upgrade should have been tested first (off line) before being implemented? It appears that this search engine is being tested on line instead. Consequently, the new search engine 'bugs' are causing frustrations, with posts here reflecting those frustrations.

Another search last night resulted in 9 pages. And each page was displayed correctly at 25 results per page! So, we're making progess!?
The old search had a lot of problems including:

1) Being very very slow
2) Was causing the website to crash completely!
3) The index table was being corrupted frequently causing the search to become useless for weeks at a time.

Basically the forum outgrew the design limitations of the old search engine. The decision was between trying to fix the old search (again) and see how long it took to break again. Or go with this new search that we knew wasn't perfect yet, but was still running much smoother than the current setup. There's been a few hicups along the way with the new one, but its still better than what we had before. Which fairly often was no search at all.