Thread: What to do...
View Single Post
Old 02-17-08, 02:05 PM
daveed

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, ‘79 Centurian Mixte, generic mountain bikes (Nasbar frames)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turtlenerdle
thanks for the responses. I actually like conversions because my back is kinda bad and some of those track bike geometries look like they may put too much pressure (am i wrong?). i also like the vintage look alot. Reading some of sheldon browns site and it seems a little intimidating getting started. buy all the parts then put together... buy a whole bike then swap out parts. Just trying to get this bike dream rollin.
The responses here have been dead-on, turntlenerdle. I'm just completing by fourth conversion, a '77 Puegeot. It's nothing special, to be honest, but I really love the part where you put your build kit in an old box and then work out of it. The order you put the parts on doesn't matter very much. Make sure you have the right tools (another expense but worth every penny) and you're a happy camper.

The biggest thrill of this build will be attaching the wheels because I finally laced up a pair. I spent about $175 and followed Sheldon's directions.

About geometry: Two of my fg conversions were comfortable hybrid frames: a Trek 7300 and a Raleigh C-40 -- an apostasy to some but damn fun to ride.