Old 02-18-08, 06:38 AM
j0e_bik3
"this is not suck"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thedips
hey guys not sure if this is the right place. i have experience with colorsanding on clear coats... finishing jobs.. but what if i want to go with a matte paint job..

i want to paint my frame black and im sure there will be tons of orange peel... do i proceed to colorsand in the same fashion if it were clear on top? someone told me to get 2000 grit and go lightly without any water.

any tips and help from pros would be welcome! thank you
the way I was taught was "practice on a piece of something (steel pipe is GREAT for frames) till you can shoot it with NO ORANGE PEEL", then you don't need to color sand (which you really can't on a matte finish)

matte finishes are shot differently than gloss clearcoats, it's more of a gradual build-up, instead of trying to shoot full wet coats, I typically shoot 7 to 10 mist coats when shooting matte finishes, where as with a typical clearcoat, usually your done after two full wet coats.

seriously, you really cannot sand a matte finish without topcoating it again, and if you shoot with peel, you'll be doing the sanding/shooting forever.

if you have peel, your gun isn't matched to your compressor (gun uses 18cfm and compressor is rated at 7cfm VERY COMMON!), or it's not adjusted right*, AND your trying to apply too much paint at once.
also try using a DETAIL GUN for shooting matte finishes or frames, as the 3" fan pattern makes getting the tubes even a snap, and with a detail gun you will be forced to shoot more coats as it wont put out anywhere near the paint volume of a standard paint gun (and you SHOULD be using at least a HVLP, with the newer LVLP guns being my first choice)

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

(* runs are a FLUID adjustment (you need less), and peel is an AIR adjustment (you need more)

Last edited by j0e_bik3; 02-18-08 at 06:49 AM.