Old 02-18-08, 12:39 PM
nollij
Pretty sure...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was the train full?

Alex, just one question for you: Was the train full that you took from Seattle to Portland? The train staff claimed the train was totally full and they almost didn't let some of the other bike riding NAHBS attendees on the train w/ their bikes (two of em were on a tandem: supposed to be a no-no, but they let em on). Not having taken the train before, I didn't think to put the bike in the compartment at the end of the car: I also didn't have a bag for the I3... I've got one on order now and I'll be sure to remove any branding on it once I get it...

Originally Posted by awetmore
I took my folder (Bike Friday Tikit) from Seattle to Portland on Amtrak for NAHBS too (and I did this a few months earlier for the Oregon BCA show). I just folded the bike and put it in the baggage closet at the end of each car. You don't need to put it on the baggage car or pay for a bike ticket. I've even done this with a much larger Swift Folder.

I haven't tried gate checking my Tikit, maybe I'll do that next time. I always use the hard case and check it as normal luggage. No one has ever asked me what is in the suitcase when I'm flying with a bike, but I've done at least a dozen flights with take apart or folding bikes (S&S, Bike Friday Tandem Two'sday, Swift Folder, Bike Friday NWT, and Bike Friday Tikit over the last 10 years).