Old 02-18-08, 01:14 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzo Bob
Yeah, for you, you Unihog! What about the rest of us still running Uniglide?

I still run 6-speed Uniglide on my two pairs of mt bike wheels. Been getting my replacement cogs from LooseScrews.com. I did convert my 7-speed UG road bike to HG, though.
You nailed me Gonzo Bob, I'm a "Uni-Hog" ! Honestly, due to the dwindling supply, I've been feverishly trying to migrate to 7 speed Hyperglide. Wouldn't it be great if some of the American job shops that stepped forward in the 1990's to create high quality components for mountain and road bikes could again step up? My request: New Uniglide, and Suntour Accushift patterned cassette cogs and lock rings to fit these obsolete standards.

Back to reality...I've never tried reversing UG cogs to get more life out of one, but I read on the Harris Cyclery site that you can do this to double the life on splined sprockets. Personally, I don't think I ever wore out a UG cog to where it didn't shift right. Mainly, I've had chrome plated ones that start to lose their plating. But I'm pretty easy on parts being mostly a fair weather road biker.