View Single Post
Old 02-18-08, 03:42 PM
melville

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Whoah! I wondered about incompatibility but hadn't considered that this set if from pre-indexing times. I'll have to get the metric dial calipers out when the set comes and take some measurements. Are these cogs even called Uniglide at all? There was no mention of that term in the ebay ad, I just assumed this was the same cog design since they are early Shimano cassette cogs.
Uniglide is the twisted tooth idea that Shimano uses. I cannot recall ever seeing a Freehub cog that was not twist tooth (except for some of the funky DA wave motion stuff of the AX era). What I remember is that I was really cheap when I went 8S on my mountain bike in 1989 with a DA freehub and tried to use some obsolete cogs. I had 4 black ones and 4 index cogs going from most teeth to least teeth and I could adjust the index to work on the 4 big cogs or the 4 small cogs but not both at once. IIRC I couldn't make the spacer between champagne cogs and black cogs thin enough to work.

After a couple weeks I got paid again and blew my beer money on 4 more index cogs and the issues vanished. If I could have gotten pre index cogs for the 4 small positions that probably would have worked as well, but there were none available to me at the time. Also, the black cogs never came with the built-in spacer in the right thickness for 7S and 8S, which is an issue with the threaded cog and the second position cog on a DA UG FH.

At present (and for the last several years) my 8S mountain wheel has an 11t 6S DA EX/AX threaded cog, 6 'index' cogs, and a black 34 pre-index and everything works just great, as the end positions are about the travel stops on the derailleur and not the index clicky spots.

Good luck!