Old 02-19-08, 05:46 AM
Robert_in_ca

Bikes: Cannondale R3000, Specialized Enduro SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What framebuilder for this?

My next bike is going to have be custom built because nothing like it really exists. Some bikes I've seen are close, but not really what I want. I'm looking for opinions on what frame builder would best for what I want. I want a 26" MTB with lots of custom options and built to my specs.

I can't spend more than 3K(hopefully closer to 2K), and I don't want to wait 5 years for it, I can wait up to 1 year if need be.

High quality steel tubing, expecting framebuilder to recommend tubing based on what I describe how I plan on using the bike. It should be overbuilt with thicker than need be tubing. Should be highly off road capable. Bike should be able to take small jumps and drops, when loaded... When not loaded, should have really good trail manners for technical riding, again must be overbuilt, like a tank. Don't mind if the frame ends up weighing 8 or 9 lbs.

Built for 26" wheels with clearance for tires up to 2.35" and fenders, custom geometry geared toward aggressive MTBing.

Chainstay mounted disc tabs, like this Wolfhound(which is one builder I am considering)

Rack and Fender eyelets on rear dropouts, and fender/rack mounts on seatstay.

V Brake bosses, just in case I have to mount V Brakes

Ability to open chainstay/seatstay junction to slip belt through. Either using the Carbon Drive Keystone dropout, or their own way of doing this. I would actually prefer a replaceable dropout system as found on some freeride and downhill mountain bikes.

Ability to use Rohloff speeddisc hub, without support arm(OEM 2 mounts)

It would need a removable Derailer hanger as well.

3 bottle cage brazeons.

The Fork will have to be custom designed as well. I want to utilize the 20mm thru axle to get a stiff and strong fork that can take lots of abuse and can take technical riding with small jumps and drops, needs to be suspension corrected to 130mm(5") and have post mounted disc brakes if possible but I.S. is ok too. I'll switch between the custom rigid steel fork and a suspension fork.

I'd love to hear opinions on who you'd recommend to build this for me.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Robert_in_ca; 02-19-08 at 05:52 AM.