View Single Post
Old 02-20-08, 03:07 AM
dobovedo
simply bikin'

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix Pro; 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport; 2009 Specialized Rockhopper 29er Comp; 2006 Flyte Arsenal; 2001 Bianchi Reparto Corse Boron XL; 2007 Raleigh One Way; 1986 Raleigh Alyeska Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Streets and Trips for everyday mapping. It's quick and easy. One gripe though. It does not use a 'via' method of setting a route; you have to use 'stops'. This is essentially the same thing, except that the directions will list a stop that you have to edit out whereas a via would simply ignore the points. Also you can't hide said 'stops' when you want to copy/print the map.

If I'm interested in elevation and climbing, or in nicer looking maps, I use TopoUSA. You can buy Eastern or Western US to save a few bucks. Fair warning. I find this software to be extremely unintuitive and finicky to use. I actually don't like it at all, but it's the 'best' of what's available for what it does. Careful though, it exaggerates climbs quite a bit. Somebody else referred to it as "noisy" which is a perfect description. I have read this is due to the fact that the Z data (elevation) is based on a grid of Lat/Lon points that may or may not directly coincide with the road surface you are on. So on a mountain climb you may get a point that is 30 feet above you because off the side of the road is solid rock. And there are some points that are just plain wrong. Right here in super flat downtown Piqua, OH apparently there is a 100 foot climb and descent within one block of Main St. I have been riding it twice a day for years, and have yet to find that climb. I wouldn't care so much except that I do log vertical information for my regular routes and my commute is overstated by nearly 50% thanks to that data error. It's a pain in the arse to try and use a tool, then have to mentally figure out how wrong it is or compare it to other data.

On long rides or climbing trips I wear a Polar HRM, compare it against TopoUSA, and average the two.

As mentioned, there are some roads in both these programs that have simply been wrong forever. And some errors too. Occasionally I will run into two roads that show correctly on the map, but can't be 'connected' on a route, no matter how close you put 'stops' together and try to force it. This is not common, but thought I'd point it out.