Old 02-20-08, 10:07 AM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
Crash Resistant Laptop Sleeve Recommendations?

I carry a laptop (Macbook 13") every day for work, and I ride my bike almost every day. I've got a ReLoad bag that works great for me carrying everything I need, including groceries on the way home.

The problem is I have crashed a total of 2 times in the past 2 years, and every time I do, it winds up costing me $500 to replace my laptop screen. The first time it was in a Trager semi-rigid padded cordura sleeve and I rolled OVER it. Probably nothing short of a full hard case would have protected it. The Trager case wasn't a great fit, so I replaced it with a Marware Neoprene sleeve. Yesterday when I crashed I didn't crash hard at ALL. rear wheel slid out from under me when I turned right into the shadow of a building, driveway turned from wet to black ice, bike slid out from me. right foot trapped in the toeclip and dragged me. I just sorta slid softly down to the pavement and slid on my side. It didn't hurt at all, and it was such a gentle landing that I was shocked when I got to work to discover yet another cracked screen.

So clearly the neoprene sleeve is not up to the task. I feel like I need something that fits well, is at least semi rigid, and well padded. The Crumpler School Hymn looks OK, so does the Shinza Zeroshock III, but there's a difference between LOOKING OK, and saving me $500 the next time my bike and I unexpectedly part company, so I'm sorta hoping for field tested recommendations. Does anyone have a rigid or semi-rigid laptop sleeve that they can recommend for actually protecting your laptop from more than just rubbing up against the contents of your bag?