Old 02-21-08, 02:52 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
i understand 'defensive' road positioning for bicyclists at intersections, nun - i do it so myself.

I'm pointing out that according to johns intrepretation of how traffic interacts- the responsibility of safe overtaking is on the motorist so riding far right in a narrow, unshareable lane doesn't conflict with 'vc', so would not taking the lane at intersections.

Riding far right past an intersection (without a RTO lane) is not in conflict with the rules of the road or vehicular cycling, because the responsibility of safe interactions at the intersection is also on the motorists.
That may be so, but if you stay to the right other vehicles are left in doubt as to whether you are turning or going straight on. It may be VC, but it isn't the safest way to ride or the most considerate of other road users.

FYI here's an interesting article on what London, where I rode for many years, is doing to promote cycling

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...ty-784805.html