Old 02-21-08, 02:58 PM
The Smokester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yen
I stopped at an LBS on my way home from work and sat on a couple of bikes. I couldn't ride them (due to the rain at the time), but as I sat on them I wondered -- how will I know if I am too stretched out, or if I just need to get used to that position again? It's been many years since I rode a road bike, so long I can't remember how I felt. I was much younger then and my back and neck were more flexible.

Where is the line between "too much lean", vs. "ideal and my body just needs to adjust"? If I feel like I'm reaching too far, am I really? Or am I just not comfortable with that position yet?
There is a lot of good advice here. I would just say that having a competent LBS fit you into your bike is a good idea. Make sure that he doesn't "paint you into a corner" since as you continue to ride the bike your requirements for comfort may change. You may want to be able to make slight adjustments to accomodate these changes without needing to buy a bike too soon.

For example, as you continue to ride your legs will get stronger and this will take some of the load off the seat and your arms. This may change your requirements both for seat position and tilt, and stem height and angle. Try to make sure that your new bike can accomodate these changes.