View Single Post
Old 02-21-08, 06:08 PM
J B Bell

Bikes: 2007 ICE Trice T; 2008 Brompton M6L; 2009 Surly LHT; 2010 Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new Tikit (v. Speed P8)

I just got a Tikit last Saturday, and I've been going positively nuts on it. Definitely a nicer ride than my 2006 Dahon Speed P8. It's much faster, though to be fair that's probably down to the thinner Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires; and this difference also makes it nicer for climbing. I think the top end is a bit less at the same time, so the gearing is probably a bit narrower and lower, at a guess. Anyway, these things combine to make me dream of being on it when I'm not.

Anyway, yes on the fold! So nice and quick, and not needing to re-tune the saddle and handlebars each time is awesome. I used the lines on my Dahon but grit from riding in the rain quickly ground them off. Being able to wheel it around takes care of the "last 20 yards" at train stations where I'd be lugging the Speed.

The only real bummers I note are the grips (plain squishy foam, it's not being nice to my hands) and the saddle (not evil, but pretty blah). Those touches on the Speed are excellent--the Biologic stuff I found really comfort-enhancing.

None of this is to dis the Speed--I think Dahon still offers best bang-to-buck out there for sure. But if you have the cash I think the Tikit is a really superb machine. Budget for after-market saddle & grips if you're going to be putting any serious time on it.