Mark Turner
Old Cyclist

Bikes: Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sean000
Our new home in Bellingham, WA gets a 71% for walkability... I think that's lower than it should be, but maybe it has something to do with the hills? For biking our house is definitely a 90% or higher. I would give it a 100%, but you have to climb a monster hill... which at least keeps me in shape!
Welcome to Bellingham. Our house gets a walkscore of 66 and I consider it a very prime walkable location (Lettered Streets neighborhood). I can easily walk to the bank, post office, drug store, grocery, auto repair and just about anything else I need (including the mall I rarely visit). The business choices the walkscore.com website uses seem odd to me. Most aren't places I go, i.e. is Cosmic Comics really a "bookstore"? My kids walked to elementary, middle and high school. We chose our home to be within bike commuting distance of my day job when we moved here. I no longer have a day job, being self-employed working from home, but our convenient location remains a real positive. I don't understand people who want to live more than about 3 miles from their place of work. Anything more and you get too sweaty on the way to work.

My business driving in 2007 was almost 17000 miles, but we only put 2300 miles on the personal car.