View Single Post
Old 02-24-08, 04:26 PM
openmindedgent
the uncarved block

Bikes: '13 Surly Troll (touring), '74 Peugeot PX-10E (fixed gear), '94 Mongoose Rockadile (trail)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
No PM yet. You can seen my fenders on page 16 of the sticky for loading touring bikes. I did cover the how they were made at the same time though that thread would have been the same time as I originally posted the fenders on page 13, that picture got dropped so I went to page 16.

One thing I learned was that the full curvature, and the full width of fenders isn't necesarry. The cross sectional curve just ruins aerodynamics, it doesn't protect you any more. On the other hand a purely flat fender is a bit ugly, ATMO. Bamboo is an ideal compromise, though I would like to make some fenders out of copper next.
Yea sorry about that, I actually got caught up in an impulsive ride/RT before it gets dark here. I found a few puddles and my behind can vouch for the bleach container fenders. I am very pleased with my construction of the tool/dry goods bin I made already, I will go with some sort of rectangular storage bin pannier as previously suggested.

I was hoping you could suggest a bamboo source in my area, would it be at any lumber yard or should I find a specialty wood store? I got my bamboo used on the rack before this from a park near the area and there was nothing more than an inch and a half in diameter. I don't know how to cure the bamboo either.

To steam the bamboo could I get a pot going on the stove and funnel the steam into a tube with the bamboo in it? or would I need much more heat and steam? I agree that flat (cloroplast) fenders are very ugly and so are the fenders I made here. Copper would be very sexy, I collect and sell used scrap metals so I have grown a very strange attraction to copper. I saw an article someone wrote about making a small copper fender ( http://www.instructables.com/id/Copper-Bike-Fender/ )

...personally I dont like the design or the zip ties but I like the copper. When he turns the wheel the spray will not alway be caught by the fender. The fender must hug the wheel at all times, and it doesn't hurt to have a nice looking (non-skin-scratching) attachment to the bike. I am on a hunt for bamboo tomorrow and a very long bike ride but I look foreward to more feedback on my super budget tourer. Thanks everyone, I will calm down on my posts....