Old 02-24-08, 06:03 PM
Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comparing Apples (summer MTB shoes) to Oranges (winter boots)

... for wide feet. No really, ... wiiiiiide feet.

I acquired summer shoes first, while waiting for an ankle to heal. I got Sidi's "Dominator 5 Mega", in size 42. I haven't ridden with them yet, but I know they'll be comfortable with thin summer socks.

I later acquired Lake's new wide version of their winter boots: "MXZ302-X" (-x is the new wide version). I ordered a size 42, based on the comfort of the summer shoes that came in size 42-wide. I rode the Lake boots for the first time today, on a 12 mile ride. I only wore one pair of winter socks (1:1 of nylon and wool), but after a mile, the boots felt tight.

My question is: Will these Lake winter boots stretch after use, so they don't feel as tight as the first day of use? I'm overly protective of my feet, ever since my ankle injury, and want to make sure I have proper foot gear. Not to mention on colder days when I would be wearing at least two pair of socks.

Because these winter boots cost about 270 bucks, I was wanting to get feedback from the gang on the stretch-ability of the boots after a hundred or so miles. Also, is there anything I can do to help to stretch the winter boots, such as proofhide?

Or am I destined to buy a second pair of Lake winter wide boots in size 44?