View Single Post
Old 02-24-08, 11:07 PM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pig_Chaser
Hey, your commute sounds an awful lot like mine in both distance and terrain. I really can't imagine doing my commute on anything other than a road bike. There's been allot of great advice already posted so i won't repeat it. The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the comfort of drop bars. They offer a variety of positions that i find make the trip more comfortable.
Actually I mentioned the comfort of drop bars ;-)

I would also add that the riding position affects bar comfort as well. If you have an aggressive riding position (bars set several inches lower than the saddle), you need comfortable bars all the more because more of your weight will be on them. This will make multiple hand positions (especially ones that let you sit up a bit) all the more important. If you have a less aggressive riding position, then you can get by with single position bars a bit easier... whether they be flat bars or swept back albatross bars (which actually have more than one hand position, but many people only use the ends). The less aggressive position puts more weight on the saddle, and less on your hands.

I have mustache bars on my commuter. They give me several hand positions, but aren't quite as versatile as a drop bar. I love them though.

Sean