Old 02-25-08, 02:36 AM
kyledr
Destroyer of Worlds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Travelling Internationally with Bike

Hey, I read some on this, but it seems unclear to me about some stuff. Seems many just get a free box from their LBS (which I can do), disassemble the bike (which I can do), and take it as a second checked item, usually paying maybe $80 each way. My problem with this is: what do I do once I'm in Frankfurt with a backpack (carry on), suitcase, and a big box with a bike in it? I have to somehow get from the airport to a train that'll take me to Freiburg, and then from that station I need to find a place to stay. I was recommended to make my luggage so that I can solo carry it up a flight of stairs, and I don't see any way of doing that with a bike, so what do you all recommend? My one guess was that I could just wait till I get to Germany and have a permanent address before shipping my bike there. I'm going for study abroad so I'll be living in a sort of dorm, so it's really not necessary that my bike gets there too soon. Any thoughts on difficulty of traveling with a bike and costs of shipping internationally (for instance I heard it may be more expensive to ship it back to America)?