Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Torrilin
Stuff I learned:

1. WI bikes need studded tires, even when everyone says "but we never have ice here!"

2. WI bikers need long underwear, wool pants, squall jackets, wool socks, wool sweaters, wool hats, and wool mittens. My down jacket failed catastrophically in a freak rain/ice storm this winter, and I was *very* lucky that it didn't end with me in the ER.

3. Trying to bike through the worst winter on record is a dumb idea, especially when you're used to California winters. I planned on walking and buses since I'm not acclimated. That was the smartest thing I've done all winter. We've had over 6 feet of snow (2m) so far, and if things continue, we may hit over 8 feet. Even the natives are having trouble.

4. Have backup hats, gloves, mittens, scarves... if it can get wet, it will. Plan ahead so you are not caught short with nothing dry.

5. As long as I'm active, I stay pretty warm.

6. Yup, my mittens still flunk at warm when it's below 10F. Fat yarn does not make good mittens. Am working on a New! Improved! design.

Stuff I already knew:

1. Hypothermia makes you stupid.

2. Wool is good.

3. Snow is evil
Great post and I was totally with you until the very end when you said "snow is evil." I think just the opposite. Snow is so pure and it covers up ugly imperfections of the world. I think it's cool that the world totally changes color 4 times a year: Bright green in the spring, dark green in summertime, red, orange and yellow in fall, and white in winter.

"Think Outside the Cage"