Old 02-26-08, 05:26 AM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LWaB
I've never really understood the fashion for Raleigh 20s and similar beasts. They are very heavy, fold poorly, have a non-standard BB thread and often have that odd headset. They ride reasonably when hotrodded but that is a fair bit of work.

True, but it's like restoring a 60's or 70's car, we tend to forget how terrible they really were, but the dreams of nostalgia take over. Then when it's finished we trick ourselves into believing it isn't too bad, even compared to our modern plush cars....."Those creaks and groans??....can't hear them"

One good point with the R20 frame is, as Sheldon Brown was wont to say...."They're very strong and long lasting". I know they're heavy, however, I wonder how long modern, light folders will last after a few years of everyday service? We regularily hear about components and frames failing on Dahons and even Bromptons, very rarely on a R20.

I think the R20 has such a large following because of it's annoying, (at times) oddness.
It's frustrating differences only make the challenge of making something worthwhile out of these outdated little bikes more fun.......for some.