Old 02-26-08, 01:28 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
My comments will concern some touring models on the smallest end of the size range.

I had an XS Novara Safari. It was my first "nice" bike. I only used it for riding around town and commuting, grocery shopping, etc. It was a nice little bike, and the butterfly bars took some getting used to. It had lots of room for fat tires and carried a load great. But later, after riding a steel frame I decided the ride of the aluminum frame was too harsh for my liking.

Some of the parts and the steel fork from the Safari went on to a NOS 13.5in Randonee frame I got at an REI garage sale. I like this little bike a lot. It's just my commuter bike but it could be a tourer just fine. It has loads of tire clearance and no toe overlap for me. It looks like a mtn bike with down tube shifter bosses.

I got a 17in 2002 Trek 520. It was my first road-type bike. I did road rides and a few short tours with it. It didn't have much tire clearance with fenders, which was my biggest gripe. I finally decided it was too big for me and wanted to go to 26" wheels anyway.

I got a 42cm LHT as a frame and built it up. The top tube length on this was shorter than to 520, which I liked. This bike is as heavy as a couch and almost as fast, but it's smooth and stable. On mine the biggest complaint I have is the placement of the bottle cages. The one on the seat tube is so high that I can't put a large bottle in it. I do have toe overlap, but it hasn't been a problem. I don't do trackstands
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR