View Single Post
Old 02-27-08, 11:21 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I get this..I mean I understand and experience a similar 'internal push'. Being a musician myself there's alot of 'high/low' that comes into play and w/gigging/sessions/touring etc. the bicycling sometimes can seem like a chore instead of the pleasure it may have been. My answer is that I'm taking up yoga, which I used to do years ago when I was touring alot. What it does is allow one to take what can be a very 'intense' workout into a very small space w/no equipment needed. Breath control, flexability, strength, tenacity, co-ordination. Would recommend 'hatha' yoga for you, being a drummer AND a cyclist. The 'sun salutation'(12 different positions-all forward and backward)would be a good start.

'Light on Yoga' by B.K.S. Iyengar is the 'gold standard' in yoga books.
"Complete Book of Yoga' by Swami Vishnudevenada is also very good if you can find one. It's been out of print for years.

There're other books, DVD's etc. and plenty of places to gain experience as yoga has entered the mainstream. It can be a real challenge to master these seemingly simple breathing techniques and poses. Leave the bike for a while and concentrate on your music and yoga and the joy and release you'll feel when you get back in the saddle will be well worth the time away. Sounds like you've got 'bicycle burnout'...give yourself a 'break', it'll come back.