Old 02-27-08, 01:56 PM
Mr. Smith

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spambait11
REI has now established themselves as the Costco of the outdoor world.

It will be interesting to see what REI sells them for and whether Dahon can meet the demand.
Costco? REI is usually more expensive than most of the small independents and a LOT more expensive than most of the major online retailers. I only shop there for the once a year member 20% discount. Everything else I get cheaper elsewhere.

Both REIs in my area are not going to stock the Fly By. It is a special order item only and neither store has sold one yet. They've been available for order about 2 months. We'll see what happens with it, but it doesn't look like people are lining up, just like they aren't lining up at the few Dahon retailers in town, most of which also do not stock bikes. The "good" shop in town I really like won't touch folders because their surveys show virtually no interest among their clientel. I'd say the price difference between the REI bike and the Mu is probably because REI negotiated what they felt was a price point they might actually sell a few at. From the looks of it at the REI stores near here, there is not going to be some large promotion campaign for these bikes.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bust your balls, I'm just saying I don't see this as evidence of anything except Dahon trying to land a major retail brand after Trek lost interest. Most of the world seems to see folders as "interesting" but impractical. I don't see the iPod of folding bikes out of this little partnership or any folder making headlines with record sales. I have to say riding around the Bike Friday sometimes I pass it up for a full size now and then because I still like the feel of a full-size bike. I also have noticed bending the cables folding it knocks the derailer settings out much more quickly which is an annoyance to me. The Bike Friday is a great bike, but if I were going to own one bike I don't think a folder would be it, at least not yet.

Last edited by Mr. Smith; 02-27-08 at 02:08 PM.