View Single Post
Old 02-27-08, 03:46 PM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I lived back in Connecticut I was pretty lucky considering. I worked in NYC and basically you had metro north running trains along Long Island Sound to NYC for commuters on a good schedule. If I wanted to I could take a bus 4 miles which took twenty minutes because of all the lights and stops (usually I rode my bike 10 miles to the closer stop with bike lockers). I'd then get on the train and sleep/read or whatever until it stopped at grand central station in NYC. Going home was much the same.

It wasn't perfect of course. Far too many limits on train speed due to poor tracks and poor track placement. It was really the only way in unless you wanted to drive 60+ miles into NYC and pay $$$ to park or pay $$ to park and bus/subway it in. And of course the sheer time sink if you lived further down the line like I did. Yeah "Train time is Your time" and all that crap they used to spew but you know 3-4 hours daily of Train time blew chunks when my boss kept me for what we'd call half days. Half day = 12+ hours.

For a little while we lived in a little half room upstairs apartment closer to NYC and I had almost an extra 2 hours everyday! Of course being married, having dogs you need more space and out to the burbs where you can afford and commute time goes +++.