Old 02-28-08, 10:44 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This like Bibs and the saddle is one place you don't want to cut corners. If you are primarily doing road riding and have very little need to walk around a lot then SPD-SL is the way to go. I like the Ultegra pedals as the new ones have a very wide platform and they are easy to lock in/out of. The cleats last way longer than Keo cleats as well, like 6000-8000 miles. They have little yellow nubs on them for walking but like any SPD-SL cleat the front of your shoe is raised and trying to walk on a wet tile floor would require moving slowly. You can get these from Probikekit on sale for $70 or so.

For shoes, Sidi's are pretty widely accepted and some of the best you can get. I have a pair of Genius 5s that I love. They took a little bit to break in but now they fit like gloves. The sidi's run around $200 but you can find deals on them.

Again from personal experience if you ride more than 3-4hrs a week you should not scrimp on shoes, nothing is worse than sore feet at the end of a 3hr ride.

2013 Noah RS