View Single Post
Old 02-28-08, 03:59 PM
The Smokester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Neil G.
The Fujitsu P1610 is almost exactly what I have. Well, I have the P1120; the P1610 is the newer and better version (the higher resolution would be especially nice). I bought it specifically for my first tour, in 2004, but in fact it's stayed on as my main computer ever since then. It's probably my favorite technological device that I've ever owned. Whenever I see people getting excited about the Eees or UMPCs or subnotebooks in general, I'm always amazed how rarely the Fujitsus come up in conversation. After 6000 miles of loaded touring, plus three years of daily use, the touchscreen connector started coming loose, but I was able to easily repair that, and that's the only problem I've ever had with it.

It fits perfectly in my Arkel Big Bar Bag. I slide in down vertically right against the front wall of the bag (the wall closest to the handlebar and bag opening). It's almost like there's a custom-built pocket for it. I do all of my mapping and route-planning on it, so I access it all the time. I'll even just stop on the shoulder, open the bag, pop it open, and check a turn I might have just missed.

And then of course since it's in the handlebar bag, along with my camera, money, etc., it automatically goes with me everywhere.

So I would highly, highly recommend that option. The dimensions of the P1610 vs. the P1120 are slightly different, but I think it would still fit the same way. If you happen to have that Arkel bag, or would be willing to get it, let me know and I could ask my manager to bring in his P1610 to confirm the fit.

Neil
Looks like we may have a winner, here.