Old 02-29-08, 05:19 PM
BikEthan
JRA.

Bikes: '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) What motivates you to commute by bike?
$, time, fitness, fun, way better than coffee (I don't drink coffee).
Note: not necessarily in that order.

2) How often do you commute by bike?
As often as possible. Almost every day during the spring, summer, and fall; less frequently during the winter (1-5 times a week).

3) Do you commute no matter what the weather?
See above. I'm hoping to in the near future but I'd need a snow/ice bike. For now snow, ice and heavy rain are about all that keeps me off the bike.

4) How far is your commute?
Too short at 2 miles.

5) Do you drive a car?
If so, how often?
I do. Once or twice a week. I have business that I have to take care of on a monthly basis that is 80 miles away. Otherwise I'll drive when going places that are too far to bike.

6)Does your cycling supplement normal driving chores/trips?
Yes. I do some grocery shopping and other errands on the bike. Hoping to go car free in the next year or two (Big Dummy!).

7) What kind of bike do you commute with?
IRO Mark V, single speed. So simple.

8) Approximately how much was it?
Built myself from parts for the most part. Bike actually started out about 10 years ago as a complete junker late 80's or early 90's giant quasar road bike that I cobbled together from parts that I found around the shop I was working at, at the time. Broken a few frames and parts and made upgrades over the years, retail value probably around $1000-$1500 US.

9) Why do you use the type of bike you do?
Fast and simple. I was working at a shop when I built it up and I like not having to spend so much time working on my bike. I started upgrading when I got a decent job at a place that has secure bike parking.

10) Do you ride a bike other then for commuting?
Yes. Sometimes I ride for fun, and just for general transportation. I'll be buying a touring bike in the very near future which I plan on doing touring on and possibly commuting. I also have a full suspension mountain bike that I haven't ridden in a while (although I'd like to start up again).

11) What kind of bike do you ride for your other riding?
See above.

12) How long have you been riding a bike?
Learned how to ride at age 6 (so 22 years) took a break in there when I had some knee problems in my early teens but otherwise I don't think I've gone a summer without getting on a bike at least once.

13) What accessories do you use for commuting specifically?
Commuting specifically? Pant clips. If i wasn't commuting I'd normally just wear shorts or bike pants.
Things I have on my bike at almost all times:
Full fenders
Lights (rear blinky, front LED, battery pack LED (for situations where I need to see).

14) Are there any accessories you would like? (That exist or don't exist)
A rack, but it's a little hard to mount on my current bike as it doesn't have braze-ons.

15) How often do you perform maintenance on your bike?
Once a week I lube the chain air tires when they need it. Otherwise whenever I notice it needs something.

16) Do you carry any supplies with you for repairs?
Tube, patch kit, allen wrenches, short adjustable wrench, pump, mini chain tool, and tire levers.

17) What do you carry with you on your commute?
How do you carry it?
Change of shirt, sometimes shoes, sometimes, lunch, whatever else happens to be in my bag.
Chrome backpack, medium size.

18) Do you ride to work in your work clothes, or cycling clothes?
Work pants, cycling jacket and shirt.

19) Do you keep hygienic supplies at at work?
Nope.

20) Do you keep extra clothes and shoes at work?
Work shoes.

21) How long is your bike unattended during a given work day?
8.5-9 hours.

22) Have you ever had a bike stolen?
No (crosses fingers).

23) Was the bike locked properly?
n/a

24) Was the lock cut/broken?
n/a

25) How do you feel about the general state of the commuter market today, are you satisfied with the products offered for commuters?
I think the market for commuter items has gotten a lot better in the last few years although I think it could get better still.

26) What factors do you feel keep potential commuters from commuting?
Fear of an accident is one of the big ones. Cars are mean.
Some people probably just think they can't.
General misconceptions about cycling and a lack of desire to ride a bike in the first place (although these people probably don't fit into the category of "potential commuters").
Length of commute. I think most people who have a commute over about 10 miles probably wouldn't consider riding a bike.

Good luck with the thesis!