View Single Post
Old 02-29-08, 11:09 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HSmith
I just finished school and moved out to the south west and I would love to get out and tour around. Where do guys like me start learning about what these terms mean, how do I pick a bike that works for me? What are the tradeoffs, what are the options?
Here's a couple of other places to look:

http://www.bicycletouring101.com/

Or here:

http://www.adventurecycling.org/feat...fortheroad.cfm

Another suggestion I would have is to go to one of your local bike shops that stocks one of the bikes that seem to be popular w/the touring crowd these days -- ask lots of questions -- ride one -- and then compare the specs with the other bikes. This is a good list of bikes to look at, depending on what's available to you in your area...

Jamis Aurora: $850
REI: Novara Safari: $850
Surly Long Haul Trucker: $930
REI: Novara Randonee: $950
Trek 520: $1250
Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30: $1500
Cannondale Touring 1: $1800
Bianchi Volpe: $850

To sum it up what these bikes have in common is:
- Longer wheelbases to be more steady under load (touring bikes typically have wheelbases of 41 inches or longer).
- Longer chainstays so that you can mount a rear rack plus panniers (at least 17 inches long for the chain stay)
- An overall design/geometry that has the rider sitting upright more than on a "racing" bike
- A sturdy frame/construction because they are carrying a load
- Plenty of braze-on fittings to mount racks both front and rear, fenders, water bottles
- Typically have a triple-chainring crankset that allows you to have very low gears for getting up hills/mountains with a full load