View Single Post
Old 03-01-08, 03:28 PM
missionbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did it work out for you?

I live in Recife and I hope your situation in BH is better than we have it here. The drivers of motorized vehicles here are extremely rude and dangerous. I was hit by a full sized bus a little over a year ago and the driver yelled at me and said it was my fault because I was riding on the pavement. When the transit police got there (3 hours later), The driver ran to the car and probably slipped him a bribe because the officer started telling me the same thing. The national trafic laws in Brazil that pertain to bicycles are good and the bus driver clearly was at fault on 3 counts. The most obvious was that his vehicle was suppossed to clear mine by a meter and a half. I recovered from my concusion after 2 days in the hospital and a week in bed at home. I never bothered to go back to get the police report. I probably should have. It might have been good for a laugh.

Then there was the time a van ran into the back of my bike (another professional driver). He broke the glass windows I was carrying on the rack. He said it was my fault because I used my brakes in front of him. I convinced him that he was not leaving the scene until he payed for the glass. I had the bill in my pocket because I had purchased the glass moments before.

I guess they will have to kill me though to get me to stop riding. I have logged more that 5000km since the bus hit me.

Let me know how your experience was in BH. That is if they didn't get you yet.