View Single Post
Old 03-01-08, 07:03 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Actually, I posted a report in the other thread, but my timestamp is 4:49. You just beat me.

Here is is:

What a nice day to be out and about!

We parked at Alhambra and hwy 4 at about 9:30-10:00am or so. It was windy, overcast, and kind of cold - but we went anyway.

Going up the back side of Pig Farm was a nice warm-up, and the descent was a little tricky with a brisk head/crosswind. We managed to meet up with the other BF group at a donut shop in Pinole, and then split off again to loop through Hercules, Rodeo, and then up and over the Cummings Skyway to Franklin Canyon. While transiting the skyway, we were passed by Curtis about midway up. The descent down Franklin Canyon was a nice, easy cruise, and then we were back to the truck and done. All told, about 27 miles, 2800' of climbing, and about 2-1/2 hours in the saddle.

The wind never really eased up, but the overcast did dissipate and the day warmed up quite acceptably. This was the first real shakedown for my 12 year old daughter's Battaglin (built by "yours truly"), and it performed flawlessly. She is quite thrilled with it.

A few pics:

Looking down Pig Farm (Alhambra Road):

The bike rack at Jack In The Box, Pinole:

Climbing up Cummings Skyway, with Vallejo and points north in the background:

My daughter, just before summiting on the skyway, all smiles on her pretty blue Battaglin:

S. J. Perelman