ProFail
Generic Title

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VLT
Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to mountain biking. We have trails here where folks ride their mountain bikes. The trails have lots of pine straw and a lot of tree branches growing on the trails so it's a rough ride. Today was my first day going and I had to go so slow because of all the pine straw and uneven branches growing. I fell once because I braked on the pine straw. So, is it best to have a light weight bike or heavier bike for these trails? Single speed or 21 speed? I purchased a Kona Unit, but also have a Giant DX comfort mountain bike. Just wanted some opinions. Thx
Generally people want to go for the lightest bike possible without compromising structural integrity. The only times one would want a heavier bike was if the terrain was throwing your bike everywhere (e.g., endless rock garden). Pine needles and small amount roots (I think you meant to say roots, not branches) don't constitute "rough", so it's a matter of technique. When braking on a lose surface, shift your body forward to put more weight over the front wheel, increasing the traction. Increased traction will prevent your wheel from locking up, which I htink is why you fell. And on the SS note, it doesn't matter. While there are very few applications where a SS will reign dominant, many MTB'ers view it as a kind of zen way to bike. No gears to shift, straight chain-line, quit drivetrain. You just ride. I think they're neat, but the riding in my areas isn't ideal for a SS bike.