Thread: Product Idea
View Single Post
Old 03-02-08, 05:37 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well, it's at least partly a hobby. It's purely a part-time business at the moment. I'm anticipating big volumes of certain things, obtained by finding parts that aren't available elsewhere, and by designing things people wish existed. However, I also believe that by stocking and making some quirky things, I'll engender loyalty from the hardcore. Think of this - those axles and bearings that Freemans stock must be bleedin' cheap to purchase, the price they're selling them at. Imagine now that I get cups manufactured. If I sell the whole shebang for £20-25, I'll be undercutting everything but the plastic BB's by miles. I won't get loads of cups made, so I won't be into big money, but by assembling things like that, appropriate forks, stuff for mounting twist grips to drop bars, I'll be the de-facto place for people hot-rodding Raleigh 20's to go. Those people then discover all the other awesome things I've got that they can't find elsewhere, and, since they're hardcore internet bike freaks, they'll spread the word about my shop. It's low investment, small profit stuff, and it can lead people in for more mainstream stuff.

I have no interest in trying to compete with St John Street or Wiggle for the mainstream internet business - those are high cash burn businesses (Wiggle certainly) that have to turn over loads to survive. I'll introduce things which will necessarily be niche at first, because nobody in the country will have them, but I'll be able to afford to have them sell slowly, and as they get faster, I'll think of adding resource to support the growing business. I want to grow organically, without borrowing, so it's the right model for me. I have plenty to do with my day job as a trainer and consultant, and my spare time freelance work as a writer and a training designer!

Last edited by Sammyboy; 03-02-08 at 06:37 AM.