Thread: Roubaix vs. ?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-08, 06:06 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Bianchi describes those bikes as being both "Long Distance" and "Race Performance" oriented. Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I've seen them and they sure didn't look like a comfort road bike to me. Perhaps a comfort racing bike???
And how is that different from the Roubaix? Without comparing frame geometries, etc., it strikes me that all of these bikes -- the Roubaix, the Pilot, the C2C are basically racing-style frames w/more upright geometry. They are "comfort" only in the sense that you aren't as bent over as much on a racing bike. It's my understanding that the Roubaix was the first in this particular market; the others followed.

But they still favor speed vs. comfort; if they were really "comfortable" bikes, for example, I think they'd be spec'd w/wider tires. Compared w/other bikes on the market, they are still sunny-day, go-fast bikes for when you don't need to carry a load.