View Single Post
Old 03-02-08, 09:21 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom, the thumb joint hurts because I severed the extensor tendon (the one that runs over the knuckle and extends the tip of the thumb) about a year ago, and also cut through the joint capsule, the tissue that surrounds the joint where the bones meet (the latter of which I did not learn about until my first post-op appt.). My thumb has healed well and the tendon is fully functional, but there's quite a bit of scar tissue down in the joint. The pain isn't too bad, sorta flu-like in nature, but there. I'm not afraid of injuring it, it's just noticable and sometimes annoying. But mainly, the thumb is a little weaker and renders my grip even weaker than before, though the doctors say that my grip is surprisingly strong given the implant and also that I'm a woman (whatever THAT means). Anyway......I'm not sure if any ointment would help that, but it wouldn't hurt to try. This poor left hand... I'm a little skittish around sharp objects now.

I had a blast on the bike today, more than on Friday. One thing I forgot to mention about Friday's ride report is that I chose to also test out my new Take-a-Look mirror ----- bad idea. It was so distracting that it drove me crazy while I was also trying to concentrate on the bike, so I left it at home today.

I think this type of bike brings out my taste for speed. I ride it differently than I ride the Cypress. On the Roubaix, I felt like I wanted to race. I have NO plans to race -- although this time last year, I said the same thing about being on a road bike. As I said about the first ride, it's a little like getting off a rollercoaster at the end compared with the Cypress.

Speaking of the Cypress..... I love that bike, it got be back on a bike and has served me very well. It's been a great bike with good components and no problems whatsoever. We plan to keep it; it's set up for night riding (headlights, taillights, reflective rims, reflectors on spokes) and we may use it as a commuter for errands and such. Since it is too big for me, it is probably just right for Hubby so we can share it by adjusting the seat. Or -- if you're asking because you're interested, make us a good offer.