View Single Post
Old 03-03-08, 11:37 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
My montague hummer

This one is the full size folding bike, my montague hummer.
I got the cheap TX model at $260 from eBay (Spent a lot of $$$ for shipping though)
I got the image from their web site. This is the stock model which weighs a ton (actually 14.5kg, 32lbs)

It had shimano 21-speed gearing and cheap & heavy components everywhere.
So I planed to swap all of its components with better ones including SID fork and shimano XT components.

With this setting, the bike weighed 10.2kg (22.4lbs), lighter than most hardtail MTBs around.
I used to ride this bike on near singletrack with other guys riding conventional MTBs. This bike is stiff and strong, and it feels just like 'normal' with no flex or noise.

This is current cyclocross setup. Carbon fork, drop bars, road shifters, derailleurs, cassettes, Road compact crank, Travel agent.
It weighs 9.5kg (21lbs) now with offroad tires, and can be shaved down to 8.8kg with 1" slick tire and lighter components.

IMO montague bikes are best full-sized folding bikes so far. They are very stiff and strong and accept ordinary MTB parts (unlike most folders).
Only drawback is the stock components are very cheap ones. It'll be great if they offer frame only kit.

Comments welcome.

Last edited by Raxel; 03-03-08 at 11:44 AM.