View Single Post
Old 03-04-08, 01:05 PM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tottspur
I am looking at purchasing a new folding bike for my business trips, and I was interested in the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket. However, I wanted to keep my budget to $1K or less, and Bike Friday has stock bikes for sale at a significant discount over the custom sizes. I don't plan for this to be my primary bike, so I guess I do not need to have a totally dialed-in fit. The large stock size roughly equates to a 60cm frame, while a medium equates to a 56 cm frame. I ride around a 58 cm Trek frame, so does anyone know how adjustable the stock bikes are, and whether I should err on the side of a smaller frame or a larger frame?

I spoke with someone at BF and he was trying to steer me toward a custom frame.

Thanks.
In general, folding bikes can fit a wider range of sizes than full size bikes. I don't know what type of stem comes with the stock bike: Is it the swan stem or a typical ahead-type stem? Assuming that there is an ahead-type stem, I would go smaller instead of larger since you can always put a longer stem on the bike.

If my memory is correct, there was a $100 difference and a longer wait for the custom sized bike.