View Single Post
Old 03-05-08, 10:30 AM
digitoast

Bikes: 1999 Haro Escape A7.3, 2005 Giant OCR1 (SOLD), 2006 Cervélo Soloist Team, 2007 Salsa ElGoGo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I have a set of the Ritchey Tubulars as well as my custom Flashpoints. My Flashpoints actually feel more stiff than the Ritchey Tubulars - which are rebranded 404 rims. I believe that the Ritchey wheels share the same construction as the 404s vs having less carbon layers (a la Flashpoint). I'm willing to bet that people who say FPs are flexy are riding stock built wheels.

And... while my tubulars are my "race wheels," the clinchers see weekend rides and an occasional training ride simply because I paid $$$ for mine and I'll be damned if they end up sitting around as wall-art for guests to see. There should be no issue with daily use if you're not intentionally riding in a way that would trash any other wheel. I even see people riding CX on their dimpled 404s. Crash replacement is where the FP really shines. At MSRP of $350 and minus a hefty percent for crash replacement (that most stores offer), having to replace a FP rim is much easier on the wallet than a 404 rim.