View Single Post
Old 09-20-04, 02:58 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Get this: I just got off the phone with the Product Manager at Master Lock turns out that.

A lock that can be compromised with a BiC pen is "Not Defective"

Product Manager: Please tell me what it is that you've told out customer service representatives.
ME: I told them that I had three locks that were able to be compromised by BiC pens and that i wanted to know what your company would do about it.
PM: We have a lifetime warranty on our locks and if you'd like we'd be happy to exchange your locks for new one of the same model.
ME: That doesn't solve the problem.
PM: What problem?
ME: The problem is that your locks are defective due to the fact that they can be opened with a BiC pen!
PM: All locks can be compromised in one way or another (proceds to list several ways) so we don't feel that a lock being compromised by a BiC pen as a defect.
ME: Yes but you don't see people walking down the street with bolt cutters in their back pocket, but you can find a pen in any school kid's backpack.
ME: I can understand bolt cutters, freon, Rifles -You know "Tough Under Fire" sledgehammers and so on but a ten cent BiC pen?

(We go back and forth on the BiC pen issue for several minutes)
PM: We can offer you three U Locks with flat keys but they aren't as secure as the locks that you have.
ME: I beg to differ at least those can't be opened with a BiC pen.
ME: Why won't you admit that people opening your locks with a pen is a problem?
PM: Because it isn't
ME: (incredulous) So I'm supposed to trust locks that I know can be opened with a BiC pen and that you won't admit that a pen being able to open your locks is a defect.
PM: A pen opening a lock isn't a defect.
ME: I'm sorry you feel this way. Your competitor Kryptonite obviously feels differently in this matter they've admitted that it is a problem and are taking steps to solve the problem.
PM: Our locks are different - We use a different style of lock than they do.
ME: What makes it different?
PM: That's proprietary information that I can't give you.
ME: What is it different pin tensions? (I then give a dissertation on the differences between the ACE I and ACE II cylinder and state that that had minimal impact on people opening the lock)
PM: We have one of the top five lock engineers in the world working on this and he hasn't proven that our locks can be opened by a pen.
ME: I know college students who'd be happy to demonstrate
Customer Service Manager: Sir we've offered you a solution: We can exchange your locks for the flat key style which we don't feel is as secure as the ones you currently have
ME: You haven't offered me an acceptable solution, you haven't even acknowledged that there IS a problem. With all the media exposure this is receiving you'd THINK you might want to take this more seriously.
PM: We've dealt with the media - We released a statement (Found elsewhere) there's nothing that you can tell the media that we haven't covered.
ME: I'll bet.
PM: Now you can take the offer that we've given or you can decline:
ME: Unacceptable
PM: That's your decsion Mr.____
ME: _hang up_

Last edited by Raiyn; 05-23-07 at 05:45 PM.