Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Less expensive, more self-supported 1200K randonnees

I just found out the price of the RM1200 ... a whopping $535!

Personally, I would like to see an increase in number of inexpensive, lightly-supported, pay-as-you-go 1200Ks ... sort of like what the RM1200 was when I rode it in 2002. The cost was something like $175.00, and the riders paid for our own meals as we went. Because I have food allergies and a limited diet when I ride 1200Ks, that was absolutely perfect for me. I simply brought what I needed with me, rather than feeling forced to eat whatever was provided ... or worse, not being able to eat what I've paid for in my event fee because of the allergies ... or worse yet, not being provided with an adequate amount of food. I've experienced all three of those situations on "all-inclusive" 1200K events.

The Last Chance is another example of a lightly-supported, pay-as-you-go 1200K, and although I had a few minor, easily fixed, issues with that ride (accuracy of the cue sheet, and anti-climatic ending for slower riders), I very much liked the minimal support. It was just enough (a couple bag drops, booking the two motels, and providing pizza the first night), while still leaving us out there to fend for ourselves.

Even the PBP is pay-as-you-go ... it is up to the riders whether or not we want to eat at a control, and what we want to eat there is our choice too. We could opt to eat at a patisserie for breakfast rather than standing in line with 200 hundred other riders to eat breakfast at a control. Or we could opt to take advantage of the convenience of the control. Even sleeping accommodations were pay-as-you-go ... a nominal fee was charged for a bed at certain controls. Or we could sleep in ditch or a train shelter for free.

Why can't we have more 1200Ks where riders pay a basic fee to cover the cost of doing a bag drop or two, perhaps a motel or hall rental in a convenient location (i.e. the 400K and 800K points), and perhaps fuel for a sweep vehicle or two to check on riders on the last day or so ... and then leave the riders to pay for whatever else they may need as they need it?

Isn't the whole idea of randonneuring to be relatively self-supported, or at least to be allowed that choice? Isn't part of the excitement of a randonnee that feeling that it is you, the cyclist, vs. the environment with only your bicycle and whatever you can carry to get you through?