View Single Post
Old 03-07-08, 12:38 AM
jimblairo

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some of the component manufacturers have deals with both U.S. and Cdn. distributors where they will not allow U.S. retailers to ship their products to Canadian customers and the Cdn. distributors apply a much higher mark-up based on the claim that they operate in a smaller market and they will not allow their products to be sold on-line in Canada.

I have been writing to gov't reps at the Federal level and in Quebec where I live as I cannot agree with this protectionism. In the U.S. these kind of actions would end up in the courts. Quebec has a large slice of the cycling industry in Canada and Quebec has the 5th highest density of cyclists in the world.

The consequence is that the Gov't is getting the shaft b/c people buy the stuff off U.S. web sites and ship it to a U.S. address and then the person forwards it to the Canadian as a gift with No taxes or duties applied.

Example. Universal cycles had a Fox 80 RLC fork for 550$ U.S. and it included a CK no-thread set but the site indicated that it could not be shipped to Canada.

The LBS where I bought the fork paid the Cdn. distributor 647$ Cdn just for the fork and 90$ for the head-set and with mark-up I paid almost 1000$ Cdn for what I could have bought on-line for 550+90 taxes or 640$.