Old 03-07-08, 03:00 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Of course, the Americans do tend to stretch the rules to suit their own. On PBP, we noted one American rider who received support from a registered support vehicle on course. Evidently, the problem was a crook rear wheel. We saw the crew replace the wheel for him on the side of the road as we rode past. The support crew then used the official riding course to access their way back to the next control. We were flabbergasted that this had been so blatant. But what can you do? If that rider finished, there would be no amount of persuading that could make him see the incident as anything but required and expedient -- and to hell with the rules.

I have to say, I am quite comfortable with doing no 1200s and very few other randonnee events this year. I am seeing more and more cheating come into the sport, and our leadership in Australia has shown a prediliction for breaking the association's privacy rules to enable another member to gain a financial advantage (while not a direct riding issue, it is one that reflects the degeneration of the sport's administration).

BMB was a particularly bad experience for me, mainly because of the effect spoiled food had on Machka and her chances of finishing. I had paid a large amount of money to travel half way round the world and an expensive entry fee (by comparison to other 1200s I had ridden) to be served crap by the organisers that made people sick. The attitude of many associated with the organisation was lousy, starting at the top, and it is little wonder the event is now defunct.

The two 1200s other than PBP 2003 I have finished, the Great Southern in Australia and the Last Chance, both hold a very dear place in my heart (astonishing for the Last Chance, isn't it?). The GSR for the support that was willingly provided by volunteers for an entry fee way, way below the BMB one (and the food didn't make people sick), and the Last Chance for the surprise support that the organisers were able to weedle out of the entry fee.

Machka mentioned two touring clubs that could provide great lessons on catering. I would also toss in the organisers of the two Mid-West UMCA 24-Hour races that I have done. On both occasions the facilities and food were simple but extremely effective.

The challenges of randonneuring are diminishing, and my feelings over the past few years that the influx of racer cyclists (and not the 24-hour mob) who want to have support, support, support is contributing to this erosion. But then maybe I have a jaundiced view of that because my randonneuring experiences was based on rides in Tasmania with limited or no supported.

One poster on another forum unrelated to BFs, put it very nicely by saying: "I think with 1200k's priced at $540, we as a Randonneuring community run the risk of becoming exclusionary. One of the attractions of randonneuring is the socio economic and racial diversity of the people riding events (yes I know, we need more gender parity, but that is another topic), with BIG events, the ones that many aspire to ride some day priced at $540 plus, we run the risk of basically Ranodonneuring for some, that some being the Serotta riding, Mercedes driving, trophy house buying lads and lasses."