Old 03-08-08, 12:50 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You can do it, if you want! I remember too many riders telling me I was too big to climb. I started climbing then did a century with 10,000ft just to see if I could on my 40th birthday. I did it with a friend that said I couldn't. A year later, I bettered my time by one hour along with smoking him up the mountain!

I did my best time that year. 100 with 10,000ft of climbing in 7:05, 7:38 total time including breaks. Out of the 400 registered riders, I placed at # 123. Not bad for a guy that outweighed most by 70 lbs.

I knew others were faster climbers but figured endurance and strength would carry me through. I remember riders flying by me matching team kits flying by me in pacelines at the beginning of the ride. I continued to hold my pace while trying not to outdo myself. The ride climbs 62 miles to the highest point of 8,400 ft. I remember on the early climb thinking I sucked as others flew by. I wondered what the heck I was doing there.

But later I realized I had a big engine so it was just taking a while to warm up. After 40 miles of climbing I was feeling great. This is what it's all about! I passed riders one by one. The same guys that flew by me on the early section of the mountain. Some on the side of the road with snot hanging from their thin faces. This was great! They were tiring as I was able to lift the pace at that point. I remember catching other riders with jerseys from other glorious rides. Most would try to outrun me almost as if it was an attempt to protect the honor of the jersey they wore.

One guy hung with me on the way down, 40 miles with only one stop sign. He said," you climb real F'ing good for a Clyde". I hadn't noticed the guy throughout the ride but found out he had his sites on me through the entire ride. Of course I wore my signature Mr. Beanz jersey, the bright orange Performance cheapo. AND the bright orange socks with the smiley face!

4 years and 20 lbs later I did this ride. Didn't set any speed records but finished well within the time limits. Lat May, 114 miles with 12,000 ft of climbing. All climbing rides were done with a standard double, 39/25 low gear combo!

If there's a will, there's a way!