Old 03-08-08, 10:40 PM
jcbenten
Just call me Chris

Bikes: 2019 Reven Voltage, 2007 Kestrel RT700 & Univega MB hard front/tail and is 27 years old.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phoshizzo
I tried to tough it out for the first 2 weeks, but finally gave into the meds.

Last year the doc had me on ...

Claritin
Singulair
Albuterol, then later to Xopenex
Astelin
Asmanex, then later to Azmacort

This year I tried to tough it out again, but the fatigue and constant yawning caused me to go back to the allergist.

For the past week he's had me on...

Claritin
Singulair
Symbicort

He also wants me on Nasonex and Xopenex, but I'm trying to limit the meds. I've been on the meds for almost a week and I think they are starting to make a difference. Tomorrow I plan on going out for a ride, and that's when I'll know if the week of meds is starting to make a difference.

I really hate having to take so many meds to help me feel like I can breath normal. My bathroom med cabinet looks like a pharmacy storage shelf
Claritin is anti-allergy and will probably not do anything for asthma. Clarinex is a newer, stronger anti-allergy. For me Clarinex works much better.

Symbicort is the same molecule as Foradil and should be taken in conjunction with a steroid such as Azmacort or Asmanex. This is recommended by the drug manufacturer. You should check up on this.

Symbicort and, I believe, Singulair are meant to be taken daily, long-term. I would be surprised if you would notice a difference over a week. I have been on Foradil for 3-4 years and during my last checkup, had my best breathing test ever. I do not remember my absolute number, but normally I am 55-60% of normal capacity and 4 weeks ago I was 80% normal.

What I am trying to say is that for these non-fast acting drugs, they are most effective if you keep taking them. Once you start, you should stay on them.

Disclaimer: I am not a physician but I have been taking different asthma meds for over 20 years to find an effective treatment.