Old 03-09-08, 02:48 PM
Pinyon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many people will tell you that Brooks saddles are the thing, but they don't work for me at all, because they still squish everything between my sit-bones together too much. I prefer the Specialized Avitar and Alias saddles, mainly because they have a sit-bone test that you can do in the LBS to tell you how wide you need your perch to be. Once you know what width saddle works for you, then you can buy another brand (I also like standard Forte saddles with a cut-away, and the Terry Liberator and Fly saddles).

The main thing is to find the width that you need. You want your hip bones/sit-bones to sit on the saddle and take almost all of your weight. If the saddle is too narrow, you are sitting directly on your soft tissue (ass hatchet effect), which sounds like your problem to me. If the saddle is too wide, then it squishes "you" into the middle between the saddle pads (most "comfort" gel, and all Brooks saddles do this to me), and you can get the same problem to a lesser extent. After finding out how wide your hips are, or what saddle-type works best for you, you adjust your seat angle and such for the most comfort.

Good luck!