Old 03-09-08, 03:29 PM
eriksbliss
I'm so much cooler online

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prendrefeu
You're a bit vague in these wheels you speak of - which brand/model are you referring to that is more aerodynamic than competitors, "cheaper" than competitors, yet not as laterally stiff as its competitors?
Hed3s: from the data I've seen, they have about the best aerodynamics out there, but are on the high side for lateral flex. And based on my own shopping experience, I can get them cheaper than anything comparabale by Zipp or Mavic.

Originally Posted by bitingduck
I think I contributed to your worry...
Don't sweat it, Duck -- you peaked my interest, but then I followed it up with some research, and the objective data shows the flex you spoke of. I also found plenty of other posters (on FGF) who ***** about them much more than you do.

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Partly depends on what you're going to be doing with them. . . . Sprinting . . . I think you definitely want a laterally stiff wheel.
Track riding. I posted here, rather than in the track forum, because that forum has minimal traffic, and I figured lots of road racers would be hip to my issue -- and the concerns from road to track are not too different, to my guessing.

By the way, here is the "official story" from Hed (to whom I posed some questions):

"H3s are as stiff as a 32 hole traditional wheel. Odd flex only comes from one of two ways.

First, discs and H3s are stiffer from the hub edge to the tire - very stiff. If you can flex the wheel, it comes all the way from the hub. This can make for enough movement to bring the rim over to the brakes if you run your brakes tight. The wheel is stiffer overall than a spoked wheel, and more efficient, but what flex there is comes from a different place in the wheel. We had this problem with making discs for Postal, and with one rider in particular ( he won the tour a few times). They kept asking for stiffer discs, so we kept making the sides stiffer. After a few, when they were still asking for more stiffness we took a very close look at the wheel and found that the hub was where the flex occured. We can't reduce it without adding a lot of weight to the hub and recutting the molds. Since the wheel is still stiffer than others, we will not make changes because of the added weight.

The second case when an H3 is flexy is when it is worn out. Again we are talking about flex at the hub, but in this case the bond between the hub and carbon is compromised and the wheel is noticeably flexy when you get out of the saddle. In this case there might be enough flex under a powerful rider to bring the tire to the chainstay. There is no visible indication when the wheel is worn in this way - it can still be ridden.

I expect H3s to last at least 10000 miles, I've seen them go more than 30000 miles. wearing out is rear only, I have never seen a front do this."

I'm inclined to give them a try -- that is, Hed3 front and back on the track bike -- and if they flex too much, I'll sell them (as "nearly new!").