View Single Post
Old 03-11-08, 08:50 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
[QUOTE=Bacciagalupe;6319709]Early last year, I picked up an 80s steel road bike. Unfortunately, I've gotten a lot of tire blow-outs (as chronicled in this thread). The evidence indicates that the newer tires are not fitting tight enough on the newer rims.

The tires I've used so far include Specialized All Condition Pro 23c's (folding), Conti UltraSport 23's and 25's. The rims are Araya 700c and do not have a hook bead.
QUOTE]

If I were to recommend a tire it would be the Conti UltraSport that you've used or the Performance Forte tires top 506 recommends. If you go with Forte get the cheaper steel bead, not the kevlar (see thread by Cuda2k who had a similiar problem.) Conti's have a reputation for being a tight fit, mine were a bear to mount.
BTW, in your other thread you explained the bead on your rims is a bulge bead, not hooked, not flat. I put 100PSI in similiar rims with no problem. But, I use 80 PSI, like John E recommends, when the inner wall of the rim is flat.
Sorry, not much help.