View Single Post
Old 04-12-02, 03:19 PM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you're doing the whole thing, Make sure you get there early and have all your stuff set up in the transition area. Lay everything out in the order you'll put it on. Some start with the shoes and work their way up to helmet and sunglasses last! Other, (Most) start with the helmet and work down!

I wouldn't waste time by using clipless pedals and having to change shoes twice. I'd put my running shoes on directly after the swim and just use normal platform pedals. If you were serious, and the distance was longer, then I could justify the time used by changing shoes twice.

Where is the transition? Will you be running through some sand or dirt after the swim as you go into the transition? If so, take a dishtub and fill it with water and set it up in your transition space. You can step into it and wash your feet. Down here, we predominately have to run through sand and it sucks to ride and then run with a shoe full of sandpaper!

Since this will be your 1st, and it's a BIG ONE! You are going to have a lot of people in your class. Don't be ashamed to go to "First Timers" The distances are the same, but you don't get hammered (or trampled) in the swim!

What else? Practice your transitions. A lot of time is wasted in tranny. You can do this at home, just have your stuff set up and run up to your gear and don't forget to time yourself. A few practices can shave minutes off your time! Practice the tranny to the run also! You can start stripping stuff off as you enter the tranny area!

Besides the slicks, I wouldn't make too many modifications to your bike. Aero bars are pointless in a Sprint distance for a first timer! If you change too much, you won't be comfortable on your bike!

The Swim to bike isn't bad, but next couple training rides, go directly to the run! Your legs will feel like jell-o after being on the bike and it takes some getting used to. Don't do this for the first time the day of the race! You can utilize this time to also practice your transition.

Let us know how you do! What's the date of the race?

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger