Old 03-13-08, 05:07 PM
nscrbug
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been running strictly on a treadmill for about the last 6 months, due to some back problems. For obvious reasons, the treadmill is way more forgiving on the joints than the pavement or trails are, due to the shock absorption features that nearly all treadmills have. It's also easier for me to keep my pace on the treadmill than it is outside. Seems like when I run outside, my pace can vary drastically from minute to minute. I'm a slow runner...10 minute mile at my best, and that's quite a struggle for me to sustain for a 5k run on the treadmill. Outdoors, I'll run a 4 mile route around my neighborhood and it takes me roughly 45 minutes to complete....so my pace is definitely much slower outside. Running outside also aggravates my back condition more, so it's a Catch-22 with me. I'm doing my first sprint tri in June, and I realize that I need to get off the treadmill and start running outside...but I'm dreading it because I know it's going to be difficult and not without some pain involved.

Linda