Old 03-15-08, 03:18 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Thanks everyone, I am encouraged. At 49 and now with this behind me, I am already planning my training for the remainder of the year. I rode 4000 miles last year with blockages and so far this winter about 400 miles, some at near race pace. I don't really foresee any issues picking up from where I left off after a few weeks off the bike.

I am planning to start back slowly but will more likely ramp up just a bit faster than I would normally. Plan is to do a Masters Race at age 50.
Don't worry about ramping it up quickly. Your body is in a terrible state right now, and it's going to take a few months to get back in shape. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

And it's never behind you. Your risk of another heart attack is very high if you have had a first one. There is no cure for heart disease, unfortunately. Whatever caused your problem is still ticking away inside you. But the treatments for heart disease are good, and getting better all the time. What other disease has a treatment that's as fun as riding a bike and eating high quality food?

You should be in a cardiac rehab program. This is by far the most important thing you can do at this stage. In cardiac rehab, you exercise three times a week while hooked up to a medical heart monitor (EKG). This is very important! You will also learn about diet, exercise, medications, and stress reduction. You are much more likely to live a normal life if you go to cardiac rehab now. Most insurances will pay for it gladly, because it's well proven how beneficial cardiac rehab is.

Like I said before, my life is much better now than it was before I had the stents put in. You have a good attitude, but I worry that you haven't taken advantage of all the help that's available--especially cardiac rehab. I also worry that you're setting yourself up for disappointment. But I hope I'm wrong!

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 03-17-08 at 01:28 PM.