makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
This is the best advice so far.

I've ridden some LIRR trains during rush hour and they are packed with people standing everywhere similar to a packed bus! There is no where to put a bicycle including folded one the size of a Dahon Curve or Brompton. Being able to put the bike in the overhead rack will become so important or you'll be standing from now on in the vestibule of the train. No matter how tired you are, you'll have to stand if you can't put the bike in the overhead rack.

Maybe a Strida might work also work in the overhead rack that's it. The CarryMe is not the type you would want to ride all the time and it's just a utility bike not ment for upgrading. Get another bike for weekend joy rides but you really need a folder that can be placed overhead.
I personally would not even want to take the overhead racks into consideration. No matter what size bike you have, if the train is empty enough that you can hoist your bike up to the overhead racks then it's probably also empty enough to leave the bike on the floor somewhere (which is far easier than hoisting). Alternatively, if the train is packed enough that the only room available is in the overhead rack then you probably won't be able to push your bike through the crowded vestibule and over the heads of the other passengers to get it up there. Others may, of course, disagree. In particular, I believe that forum member "rhm" has posted pics of his Downtube Mini (which he rides in NYC) on the overhead rack of an LIRR train.

Although the OP sounds like he just might be the kind of guy who would be happier riding a Birdy and changing his schedule to catch a less crowded rush hour train than darting around potholes on a Carryme. The Xootr Swift also seems to be a NYC favorite for taking on the subway, but I imagine all the loose bits flopping around might be a burden while trying to take a nap on the LIRR.

Your Mileage May Vary

Last edited by makeinu; 03-16-08 at 09:58 PM.